This apple cake is almost like a tart. Delicious with a coffee or as a dessert served warm with cream or ice cream.
4 large red apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
5 TBS sugar
5 TBS plain flour
5 TBS Cooladerra Farm Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs (preferable free range or home grown)
2/3 cup Australian honey
1. Preheat oven to 180oC.
2. Grease or line 20cm cake pan.
3. Place the apple slices in a flower pattern and in layers until all the apple is used.
4. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, olive oil and two of the eggs. Whisk until smooth.
5. Pour batter over apple slices evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Take tin out of the oven and increase to 205oC
7. Combine honey and remaining eggs in bowl and mix well. Pour over cake and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until golden brown and when skewer comes out clean.
8. Enjoy for morning tea or as a dessert.